« Striking Similarities Between Special Education In Prison and Outside | Main | Eat Less, Learn More »

February 23, 2006


L. Lundgren

After a student has walked across the stage and accepted a certificate of attendance, under Brittany's Law, who is responsible for paying for education? If the least restrictive environment is no longer in the high school, but in a college setting with a specialized program, who is financially responsible? If the child is between the ages of 18-21, has completed high school, yet has much more to learn, but needs environmental support, who pays?

K Booth

Re post by L Lundgren - If the child would otherwise be entitled to services by the school district, Brittany's Law provides for continuation of those services without termination by virtue of having participated in a graduation ceremony until the child reaches age 21 (or, now, possibly age 22). The intent of Brittany's Law is to remove "graduation" or participation in a graduation ceremony as the event that would otherwise cause/trigger the termination of the obligation to provide services.

karen Diorio

Where do I find out about: at what age my daughter is allowed to participate in high school setting? Has there been a law passed that will allow her to continue until 22? She will be 21 on June 8. Her graduation/last day of school is June 1. At this time it would be better to our family situation/and her needs that she continues 1 more year.

Jamie Belanger

I am requesting that every special needs student gets a chance at graduating with thier class and get certificate of completion. This is just not fair that some states will allow this but so others wont. I know that this depends on the district and the school but it doesnt hurt to give my suggestions.

Robbie Bilodeau

I work for a school district who does allow special ed students to participate in the graduation ceremony with their classmate and receive a "Certificate of Completion". Those students then move on to a transitional program and continue to receive services until the age of 21. My question is, if they have completed their requirements to receive a diploma during or at the end of the transitional program, what year should be stated on the diploma; the year the entered into the transition program or the year they completed the program. This is not really clear in the articles I have looked up.

The comments to this entry are closed.


About Me


Clients' Testimonials

Become a Fan